When you are severely injured due to no fault of your own, contacting a personal injury law firm is essential to protecting your rights—many of which ordinary people don’t even know they have.
Not all injuries are the same. Serious injuries can result in life-long effects for survivors and their families. Injuries that cause death, significant impairment, dismemberment, or loss of limbs, are sometimes called “catastrophic personal injuries,” as opposed to minor injuries that can heal with only modest medical intervention.
There are countless personal injury law firms in California, from the San Francisco Bay Area, Marin, and Napa, to the Central Valley and Los Angeles. Their advertisements can sometimes seem inescapable. But not every attorney is the same, and it is important for survivors of catastrophic injury to find the best attorneys possible.
Our law firm provides unrivaled attention to our clients, world-class scholarship and research based on years of teaching at some of the world’s most elite universities (from Stanford University to NYU), and detailed advocacy at each step of the legal process.
Contact a San Francisco Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Whether it’s a catastrophic or non-catastrophic personal injury, our experienced lawyers can create a space for your family to focus on what is most important—healing. We pay close attention to maintaining your family’s dignity and reputation in your community.
We recognize that catastrophic personal injuries have a profound physical, emotional, and financial impact on our clients. We represent clients who have survived severe automobile, trucking, motorcycle, and bicycling accidents, as well as sexual abuse, murder, and assault cases.
When handling such important cases, we have financial compensation in relation to the following areas, sometimes called “damages”:
- Medical expenses
- Physical, psychological, and occupational therapy
- In-home nursing care or aides
- Loss of past and future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
The Law Office of Scott R. Herndon is not just any law firm. We are a nationally recognized boutique law firm that concentrates on a select few catastrophic personal injury cases each year, focusing our energy and resources exclusively on our clients.
San Francisco Catastrophic Injury Statistics
In the United States, preventable catastrophic injuries are soaring. Consider a few national statistics from the National Safety Council (NSC):
- Catastrophic accidents are the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
- 200,955 preventable injury-related deaths occurred in 2020
- Additionally, our citizens suffered more than 55 million non-fatal, preventable injuries
In California, the statistics are also staggering:
- Vehicular accidents remain the leading cause of adult traumatic amputations in California
- In 2020, drivers, passengers, and pedestrians suffered 3,723 motor vehicle fatalities
- According to Vital Signs, San Francisco has one of the lowest fatality rates per capita, but one of the highest fatality rates per mile driven. Solano, Napa, and Sonoma Counties have the region’s highest fatality rates per-capita and per-mile
- Pedestrians and bicyclists account for the majority of San Francisco accident fatalities
The brute fact is that many survivors of catastrophic injuries will never return to the same kind of life they once knew, but in many instances, they can return to lead a productive life when they are represented appropriately. The right catastrophic personal injury attorney can help victims and their families deal with the dramatic changes in their lives. This is what our law firm takes pride in doing.
Calculating Compensation in California for Catastrophic Injuries
California law provides for compensation for people who are injured due to the negligence or action of another party. If your catastrophic personal injury is due to someone else’s wrongdoing or negligence you should get compensated and the other party should be held accountable. The negligent party may not always be obvious. Negligent parties may include individuals, employers, corporations, insurance providers, property owners, vehicle owners/operators, and manufacturers, to name a few.
Obtaining compensation depends on the demonstration of liability, but this work is complex. California is a comparative negligence state. Liability may be shared among multiple parties, including the accident victim. However, even if the victim is found to be more than 50% at fault, they may still receive compensation. This is different from many other states, and can sometimes make calculating compensation for catastrophic injuries complex.
Regardless of how fault is analyzed, victims of catastrophic injuries can receive compensatory damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages:
- Compensatory damages include medical bills, lost wages, future earnings, therapy, and rehabilitation, among other items with an assignable dollar value
- Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages, under certain circumstances, may be awarded by a judge or jury to punish another party for the malice or recklessness that caused or contributed to an injury, and to provide a deterrent signal in favor of the public policy, to help ensure that such behavior does not happen again.
We understand the long legal road ahead for people who have serious, life-changing injuries. This is what we do.
If you are a victim of catastrophic injury, you should contact an experienced attorney immediately.
We can help you traverse the long, arduous road back to an active life. We pride ourselves on humanizing the legal process by giving you and your family members the personal attention we would show our own families. We are personally invested in helping you get the space you need to heal and the resources and commitment you need to prevail in negotiations or court.
We provide a free consultation for Bay Area catastrophic personal injury victims
Based in Berkeley, California, The Law Office of Scott R. Herndon is a nationally-recognized, specialty law firm. We represent clients across California, from the Bay Area to Southern California, who have suffered catastrophic personal injuries. Scott R. Herndon’s experience as a philosopher, faculty member, athlete, and author makes him different from other personal injury lawyers. We are devoted to paying extraordinary attention to every one of our clients. We listen carefully, do our research, and advocate with the mind of a professor, the attention to detail of an artist, and the focused determination of an athlete.
If you or a family member catastrophic personal injury, call 415.360.5477 or contact us online for a free consultation.